Friday, July 13, 2012

Kyaninga Lodge- July 6, 2012

  So Luan told me how to set my pictures for web usage since internet is too slow here to upload a regular picture. So hopefully, I will be able to get pictures up with new posts!


 Luan took me to Kyaninga Lodge last week to go hiking. Kyaninga Lodge was built by an Englishman and
 took him several years to build. He used all local wood to build the buildings. Other than a couple of hiking trails, one above Crater Lake and the other along the lake shore, there are also tennis courts, a French style
 bowling area, volleyball, badmitten, swimming pool, paddle boats, and
swimming in the lake among some of the recreational activities for the guests. For hiking, we could do so for free. Fort Portal is 5000 ft in elevation and some of the hills on the Crater hike, are above that. We hiked for about 2 hours and then met up with a missionary couple that were vacationing at Kyaninga for three days.
 I took some pictures of the different flowers, some were quite different, like this one. Unfortunately, I do not know what kind of flowers these are, but they are pretty. They remind me of sea urchins.

While hiking, some children walked passed us leading a cow and goat. They smiled and as common with most children I’ve met, each had to ask, “How are you?” When we reply, they smile and laugh. Lol…still haven’t figured out why that is.


The fields surrounding and through which we walked were all farming. Gardens of potatoes, maize, beans, ground nuts, and matooke. The farms are usually all strewn together; they do not plant like we do in America with rows of vegetables and separate from other plants. This picture shows farming on the side of the hill.
 When we were hiking, the trail goes along the right hand patches of farming gardens. Where the last square patch of brown is on the right, they were planting potatoes. How the people know where their land is and how much they have is beyond me as there are no fences, markers, houses, or anything.

As we were leaving the Clubhouse, we spotted this male lizard. Fortunately, he liked the spot he was in and didn't skitter away until I got a picture of him. Photogenic eh? He even looked at the camera for me :P
 

3 comments:

  1. Yeah! I'm glad you finally got some pictures up. :-)
    This looks like a beautiful area. I'll try to find out what that flower is. Cute little lizard ~ if you like lizards ~ Ugh!
    Take care, Love and miss you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. nice post thanks for sharing...looking for to visit more...blessings

    ReplyDelete
  3. The flowers are lovely. I figure the children see you smile when you reply to them, and they smile im kind. :) Children are usually more trusting...like God wants us to be as little children, trusting!:-) Be glad when you can be home though...I know how your mama wants to see you! The pictures were interesting..and how they figure out whose land is whose....I do not know! Must have a "better system" than we do, huh! ;)

    ReplyDelete